Thursday, September 24, 2009

Simple living

I’ve had to make some lifestyle changes recently, live more simply and frugally. It’s not new to me; I’ve been poor before. Actually, I shouldn’t say poor. I have a good job, no debts, a roof over my head, a car to drive, and no worries about whether I’ll have food to eat. Many people do not have these luxuries, so I’m not poor. I have had a significant decrease in income level, though, so have found ways to simplify life.

  1. No more manis and pedis: I didn’t grow up with regular visits to the salon, so this isn’t too hard to give up. I have noticed, though, that it’s a little more difficult to give up beauty treatments at 35 than it was at 25. But, that’s just all the more incentive to keep up my workout routine. If I maintain a kickin’ body, who’s going to notice my nails?
  2. Less eating out: Since most restaurants’ meals are way too big, and fast food is just plain gross when you think about it, this isn’t a bad thing. I’ve always enjoyed cooking, and I’m trying to incorporate more fresh produce into my meals (without cutting back on necessities like cookies and ice cream). This is also the perfect time to enroll in a cooking class at the college where I teach, since I can take classes for free there.
  3. Free entertainment: The possibilities here abound. Kansas City is lush with free or cheap museums and beautiful parks. The coffee shop I live above has free movies on Friday nights and free live music on Saturday nights. Instead of attending the symphony, I joined a community orchestra (whose concerts are free, go to www.olatheorchestra.org). As a big plus, this led to my joining a professional quartet. Instead of attending sporting events or watching football in a sports grill, I play Ultimate Frisbee pick-up games, which has the triple bonus of avoiding the nasty nachos, playing at no cost, and getting a great work-out. In fact, I’m less and less sore after every game now.

This is just the beginning. I’m finding that simpler living can actually lead to richer, healthier living. That said, I’m not giving up the pedis forever. They will be first back on the list.

1 comment:

Jerseystitch said...

As I have told you before, I like playing with cute feet on women...I imagine I could give good pedi, but we will never know. Just as well. I like you as you are now, and would hate to find out your feet look like talons. *click click click click*
Most restaurant meals are also an explosion of sodium.
I am happy to hear you are keeping active. Eat more hot peppers, also! They are cheap and fun. Like me. ahahahaaaa
There is one museum I really recommend, as soon as I can remember ANYTHING about it. sheesh. And to think I was even sober when I went there.
The museum in Lawerence has some fantastic Chinese cartoons, and modern art. I wish I could access their pictures on the internet. Once again, it would help if I could remember names.