Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Reading Comprehension

I learned some new vocabulary in class today. If something is “bussy” that means it’s “tight,” (cool, great). If I say “this meal’s on fire,” that doesn’t mean it’s spicy, it means it tastes good. The list goes on, some more appropriate than others. For example, I had no idea there were so many words for someone who was drunk. Yes, that’s right, we were talking about figurative language in Language Arts today, and my students caught on very quickly and gave me several of their own examples. Of course, when I threw out a few of my own, they looked at me strangely.

“Class, what do I mean when I say that movie bombed?”

“It was a great movie?”

“No, not that the movie was the bomb. The movie bombed.”

“We have no idea what you’re talking about.”

I’ve never felt so old. I don’t know if it’s a generational or cultural gap. Maybe both. But I laughed and had a good time with them, and they thought that was really dope of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well! That sounded like the cat's meow! Far out!