Tuesday, September 29, 2009

my happy place

I asked my students today to write about what their perfect rooms would look like. A few of them shared with the class, and this may have been their most interesting feedback so far. One had a room that sounded like a club, another a room that sounded suspiciously like the playboy mansion (at least what it looks like on TV). One man’s sounded very serene with a big window facing east to let in the morning sunshine and peaceful music playing on hidden speakers. I had no idea how self-revealing this assignment would be, but in describing their ideal spaces they were describing something of the spaces within them. I learned that the sacred and holy appears very differently to different people. Different as our sacred spaces may be, though, we all embody and live within the holy. It’s a tiny peek at the vastness of god.

1 comment:

Jerseystitch said...

Materialism does not necessarily always equate with separation from the Higher Power. I believe the Bible says somewhere if you are rich, you need to show it. And I can see where many's heaven would involve materialism, as they have know so much less. (Reminds me of the song "Big Time", by Peter Gabriel)
It is wonderful what you receive from your teaching experiences!