Tuesday, September 22, 2009

it's only life, after all

My students are learning grammar, reading comprehension, and writing skills from me. From them, I am learning what it means to forge ahead in life even when you have been dealt a bad hand, how to pick yourself up and keep going, and how to develop new dreams for the future. They are very real in what they share with me in their writing, and I feel incredibly privileged that they allow me a glimpse into their realities. The inner strength that many possess is remarkable; I am truly in awe. While I am helping them reach educational goals and instill confidence in themselves, they are teaching me that as ugly and messy as life sometimes is, we go on. We have to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is humbling to hear many of the stories.
In "the program" they define humility as "teachability". That has helped me at times.