Thursday, October 15, 2009

yummy

Last night, as I baked batch after batch of cookies for my students (this week’s request- peanut butter chocolate chip) I asked myself, “why am I doing this? Am I trying to win their favor or approval?” I pondered that, but decided that no, I’m not trying to win their affection. The truth is, I don’t really care whether they love or even like me. I want them to learn; I want them to enjoy class so that they have a positive experience of higher education. I make the cookies, though, not for their gratitude or love, but because I care for them, and this is one expression of my affection.

Maybe it was the house I was raised in. Mom always baked cinnamon rolls for her dear friends. I remember her pans covering the kitchen counters, table, even the floor at Christmas time. Baking time (and we’re talking days on end) filled the house with warmth and sweet smells, like a big sugary hug. I can’t make rolls like mom (dough won’t rise for me; it’s a curse), but I can make cookies. They are my signature. When I was a campus minister, I delivered homemade cookies to new students. At Christmas, friends and family receive hand decorated sugar cookies. And for my dear students, a new cookie flavor every week. I love you all, even when I glare or raise my voice. I love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Lytle pages look like they are off to a polished and professional start. I hope you get offers.