Thursday, October 22, 2009

all I want is all you want

My new good friend and colleague Kai Michelle McCoy is a little bummed that I haven’t talked about her in my blog yet so, Michelle, oh beautiful, vivacious, funny, thoughtful, warm-hearted Michelle, this blog’s for you.

Yesterday, driving back to school in her car, she played me one of her favorite Joni Mitchell tunes, “All I Want.” Wonderful song, Michelle, thanks. I greatly appreciate new friends who introduce me to new music.

We have reached the middle of this semester. It’s been exciting to watch the progress of my students so far this fall, and I have great hope for the next quarter. As I watch them move forward, it is always in the back of my mind that they will all move on soon. I get to witness and participate in only a small fraction of their lives’ journeys. I know what they have shared with me of their pasts, but I will probably not know their futures. Will she succeed in nursing school as she has dreamed of her whole life? Will he own his own business someday? Will he be a great writer?

Will they all really and truly believe in themselves for the rest of their lives?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will you get in a tickle fight with Kai?
M. A. P.
I just watched an American Masters on Joni Mitchell. Almost made me want to be her.
You can only do what you can. The rest is up to them. They are very lucky to have you around.
My word verification word this time was "blersh".