Tuesday, January 19, 2010

When I'm with you, I hear music

My quartet is working on a Dvorak piece, his Quartet No. 12 (American). We're a fairly new quartet, so this is challenging us to come together as a group more than other music has. As we were working on the Finale this past Sunday, our violist, a Russian native, explained to us, "Slavic music, it's either crying or dancing. There is nothing in between." We were playing too much in the in between and needed feel the fire.

When we were working on the Mozart Divertimenti we had enlisted the aid of a metronome, but Dvorak resists any such effort to bind or mechanize. He, like Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff, is a composer who captures the greatest and most intense of human passion in his music. You can not force him to behave, and a musician devoid of passion herself will bastardize the music.

He stirs fire into the heart and soul. That's probably why I prefer him to Mozart. Don't get me wrong; I adore Mozart, he was a genius and his music does dance (and is easier to whistle). Sousa, now he I could do without. I think he's the reason I chose a string rather than wind instrument. I'm sure the mindless march has its place, such as encouraging people to march mindlessly, but is more than one even necessary?

Crying or dancing, nothing in between. In real life, or course, we are often in the in between, but maybe we spend too much time there, and the music in our hearts slowly dies (or worse, reverts to Sousa. March on, little soldier). You choose where you want to spend your time. As for me, I will cry, dance, even laugh and whistle a little with Mozart when I'm tired.

Now, if I could only get those sixteenth note runs under my fingers.

2 comments:

Jerseystitch said...

Dvorak!!! DvorakDvorakDvorakDvorak!!!!!
Wish I could be there....gr
Oh, you can so NOT mechanize Dvorak! That is what first drew me to him. I have to say he is on par with Beethoven. Mozart was a tightass genius musician.
Please try to relax your fingers. Make the 16th notes second nature, even if you mess them up the first two hundred times. Think of Dvorak standing there patiently, wanting to praise you for doing it correctly.

Iggy - www.KCFreeThinkers.org said...

I am not a lover of classical music, but recently I caught myself listening to some NPR's classical channels. I think even KKFI 90.1 FM in Kansas City has a local channel. Kind of a soothing and no thinkgin tantric chanting that makes you think no more about the world and just kind of flow with it. I think that Buddhists got it right - their "lack of god" is the sh.t! :o) - meditate/medicate the cr.p out of your brain and all worries go away. Oh, and a little bit of prayer would not hurt. The other day I spoke to a "Creation Science" proponet who has a "Scientific Case for Creation" and states "prayer is not a metaphor but fact", I just don't know how it is demonstrable and under which conditions. When pressed, he also did not know and did not offer any explanations/verification under which circumstances "nothing is impossible to you" and "ask in my or fathers name and it will be given to you" or if "faith is as small as mustard seed" can be viewed as nothing but metaphors.

I think we need to have "classical music boarding/waterboarding" on this guy. Yeah! God would love it looking over this all from her Pink Unicorn Stables above and chewing on celestial hay!