Tuesday, January 5, 2010

War, what is it good for? (you know the answer)

I've never comprehended what instigated World War I. Yes, I've read the history several times, but it still confuses me. After she spent several hours at the WWI museum today with her grandmother, my six-year-old daughter tried to explain the cause of the war to me. I'm sure her description was fairly accurate, and yes, it still confused me as much as ever.

After the explanation, my daughter was quiet for a few minutes, and then she shared her thoughts. "Mommy, we learned in school that Native Americans see all people as one family (I cannot attest to the accuracy of this), and that makes sense to me, because people have babies, and they grow up and have babies, and then those babies grow up and have babies, and this happens over and over so we're all part of the same family. And if we're all one family, we shouldn't have wars. Families shouldn't fight each other." She was near tears by this point.

I was speechless. She was right, of course, and the inner workings of her mind will never cease to amaze me. Then she ended with,

"I think the only wars we should have are wars of hugs, where everyone hugs each other."

As she grows, I know her mind will expand, but I hope her heart always remains this way: pure, loving, and grieved by violence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A parishioner of mine made a comment about this the other day that's slowly forming into a poem in the back of my head.

Or maybe it'll just become a pardoy episode of Family Feud.

Can your daughter come to my Bible study?

Jerseystitch said...

It is my understanding that Gavrilo Princep shot the Archduke and Duchess of Ferdinand, throwing several...anglo-saxon tribes?...into utter chaos. They were all fussing and fighting at the time. Then later came the bombing of the Lusitania, which brought the US into the fight, though, as usual, many think it was staged by secret powers to give the US an excuse.
This is why I think, even though this took place around 1913-1914, that Gavrilo Princep is responsible for the birth of the 20th century. He catalized several late 19th century philosophies and inventions into a mass industry.