Saturday, January 2, 2010

a picture is worth 1000 words, 100,000 emotions, and a million tears

On New Year's Eve, I visited the Truman Library with a few family members. It had been years since I had visited, and it was as interesting and informative as I had remembered. We were preparing to leave when my uncle noticed that we had missed the downstairs exhibits, which take you through Truman's personal life from boyhood on. So, we walked down there and wandered around. While down there, we stumbled into the entrance of their special temporary exhibit, one that should have been much more prominently featured (or did I miss a big banner on the outside of the building): Capture the Moment: The Pulitzer Prize photographs.

1 comment:

Jerseystitch said...

Do they have the Pulitzer Prize for news-related film footage yet?
Some of those videos are quite impactual.
Anyway, the first time I saw the picture of the little girl on fire in Vietnam, I cried and was also turned on, as I think this was the first naked female I ever saw. I wanted to find her and comfort her.
They found her a few years later, and she seems to be doing pretty well these days.

That and the picture of the Vietnamese spy being shot probably have affected me more than most others.