Monday, March 29, 2010

If someone sponsored me for a year...

Today, I was talking with a friend about a book I'm reading, "Eat, Pray, Love," by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's the memoirs of the author's outer and inner journeys for a year as she spends 4 months in Italy eating, 4 months in India praying, and 4 months in Indonesia learning to love. This amazing venture was made possible by her publisher, who advanced her the money based on the book she would write about the experience (which is now a best seller, so everyone's a winner).

So my friend asked me, "what would you do, what would you write about, if someone offered to sponsor you for a year?" Wow! I didn't have an immediate answer, but couldn't stop thinking about the question. Here's what I've come up with...

A couple of months ago I wrote about Dr. Bethany Tucker's insights about the hidden rules that govern our lives. She was talking about differing rules between economic classes, but I was pondering the hidden rules between countries, specifically major cities in different countries. I once read a pamphlet written by the United States tourism board (or some such body) for our international guests, and one of the biggest sections explained Americans' obsession with and treatment of time. They warned that it was unacceptable in American culture to be more than 10 minutes late for a meeting or engagement without calling ahead. We are ruled be the clock and our calendars. The pamphlet continued with more details about this rule that I had never before considered, since it seemed perfectly natural to me.

So, I'd like to spend a month each in 12 major cities, immersing myself as much as possible into the life of each city, and try to unearth some of their hidden rules. It would be like a very challenging scavenger hunt. I'm thinking New York, Mexico City, London, Paris, Moscow, Hong Kong, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo, Cape Town, Sydney, Nuuk, and Bombay. Maybe, if my insights were keen enough, the cities could use my research for their own tourism pamphlets.

Guess I'd better begin with Kansas City, though as a resident of this fair town, it may prove the most challenging. Any ideas about KC's hidden rules, or the hidden rules of your town? In my next post, I'll suggest a few that I see.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a fabulous idea, but you listed Mexico City twice. :)

Dagney J Velazquez said...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I've corrected the error and added Tokyo. That should do the trick.

Anonymous said...

I, too, read "Eat, Pray, Love" and have Elizabeth Gilbert's next book in my hold queue at the local public library. I think her latest book is about the "Love" part of her journey.
I don't know if a month in each city would be enough to get to the subtleties of the way of life, unless you have connections in each place that can help you quickly immerse yourself in the customs, language and lifestyle in order to have what you need to answer your question.
You're an excellent and intelligent writer, though; have you ever considered writing a book?

Dagney J Velazquez said...

You're right. A contact in each city would be a great asset. I have friends in NYC and Moscow, but need to meet some people in the other cities. I'm open to introductions.
Thanks for the compliment. I have flirted with the idea of writing a book. Suggestions?

Anonymous said...

All of your blog topics are different, and they all exhibit the same high level of creativity and writing talent and are enjoyable and entertaining - personally, I like non-fiction best (i.e., the Elizabeth Gilbert book previously mentioned) although I am also a fan of Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones' Diary, Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination). I think you could also pen some children's books (with some help from Aliyah!) and the middle school genre is sorely in need of some good reading material, (that's why the Potter and Twilight series' have done so well). I like the kind of books where you can get lost in them, you care about the characters, and you're bummed when the book is over because you are going to miss them. I've never been a big fan of "fluff" reading (Danielle Steele) b/c it is so obviously made up, and feels like a waste of time - and while I try to read a lot of inspirational or faith-based things, sometimes that seems like "work" at the end of the day, when I'm looking for relaxation.
Whatever gets your creative energy going, whatever interests you, I'd follow that lead and see where it takes you. You obviously have a gift for writing.

Dagney J Velazquez said...

Blog and article length seem to be my strength, so maybe my book will be episodic. I could think in terms of short vignettes that are somehow all connected rather than a book. Sounds less intimidating. Laughing and learning with my students gets my creative juices flowing, so maybe I'll put those stories into a book. I would need some consistency in characters, so I could follow the journey of a few students over a year. How have they changed, how have I changed, over a year?

Anonymous said...

I like what you do here, in terms of a book. You're the "main character" and each "vignette" (book) or blog (posted here) are scenes from a life, thoughts, ponderings, etc, with you as the main character. I have never read a blog post here and thought "gee, that was boring" - they are all interesting, make you think, and are enjoyable reads. I'd maybe look in to different female writers (Elizabeth Gilbert was mentioned previously) - figure out what age group you'd like to reach (with a book) and then go from there. You could weave some stories of your students in to the book here and there - I don't know if you could make a whole book out of just that, maybe a magazine article, but then again, I don't know your students and the environment you work in - it might be fertile ground for a book! (But who would be your reader demographic there?)
You wear many hats (mother, teacher, writer, friend, sister, daughter, musician, ETC) and I think life as seen through your eyes (as blogged about here) is a good start for a book!