Saturday, March 13, 2010

Can I eat humanely for $50/week?

In his book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, Michael Pollan challenges the reader to eat thoughtfully. The implications are deep and complex, and I was compelled. The problem is I, like millions of other Americans, am on a very limited income and have come to rely on cheap food. So the question is, is it possible for the average American to eat more thoughtfully without going bankrupt. I've decided to give it a go. Here's my plan:

Grocery list:

  • Small roast, Pisciotta Farms: $9
  • One dozen eggs, Pisciotta Farms: $3
  • Blackberry Jalapeno Jam, San-Man Gardens: $5
  • Spinach, locally grown: $4
  • Quinoa, organic: $1
  • Freshly ground peanut butter: $2.50
  • Whole wheat bakery bread: $3.50
  • Garlic, organic: $0.50
  • Onion, organic: $1
  • Half-gallon Shatto milk: $2.50
  • ¼ lb free trade coffee beans: $2
  • dried blueberries, organic: $2
  • oatmeal, organic: $1
  • dark chocolate bar, fair-trade: $2.50
That leaves me about $10 for the rest of the week in case I need something else.

Meal Plans
  • Breakfast: oatmeal with splash of milk, dried blueberries, cinnamon and sugar
  • Lunch: peanut butter & jam sandwich
  • Dinner: scrambled eggs or slow-cooked roast, spinach salad, quinoa
  • chocolate, coffee, and milk to my heart's delight

Rules:

  1. Only eat from my grocery list. I am allowing myself to cheat the tiniest bit on this one when I go out with friends for coffee or beer, but I am not going to eat any food out.
  2. Fresh produce must be locally grown, and no frozen produce. If I could have found local, frozen produce, I may have allowed that, but the energy cost of shipping frozen or fresh produce discouraged me from it. I did allow myself the luxury of dried berries since, because of their reduced weight and no need for refrigeration, the energy cost of transportation is significantly lower.
  3. No sodas. Between the high fructose corn syrup of regular and the artificial sweeteners of diet, there’s really nothing good about them. Besides, with only $50 to spend, I couldn’t afford to waste any of it.
  4. I did allow myself to utilize my stock of herbs and spices.
  5. Because I cannot survive without chocolate, I allowed myself to buy one bar of fair-trade dark chocolate. There’s nothing local about chocolate, but it has become a staple for me.
For those who don't know me well, I'm not a small woman. I'm 5'10" and weigh 150 lbs, so if this works for me, it should work for the average American. We'll see.

5 comments:

Breezy said...

Sadly, it really is more expensive to eat healthy (for a family) than it is to focus on "cheap". I shop at Whole Foods and try to make smart (i.e., healthy) choices at the "regular" grocery store, and you can see where families who are on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale are at more of a risk for being obese or with health issues, because the cost of organic and healthier food items is cost prohibitive for them! Hello McDonald's! (yuck!)

Anonymous said...

Re: chocolate - More than 70% cocoa dark chocolate is recommended....avoid milk chocolate, from what I've read. The dark chocolate contains antioxidants and many polyphenols. :)

Dagney J Velazquez said...

Thanks for the chocolate insight. Good thing I adore dark chocolate, the darker the better. I actually once found a chocolate bar that was 93% cocoa. Mmmmmm....

Jerseystitch said...

I always thought Pisicottas had good stuff. Are you missing any culinary item yet?
Is this enough for you to eat?
My verification word is "Steeries". Is that some sort of bite size wholistic beef snack...like crunchy jerky?

IGGY - www.KCFreeThinkers.org said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, it's like "Living Biblically for 1 year"...

I think you can make this as another topic for KCFreeThinkers?