Sunday, January 27, 2008

Let's Give it Up for Jesus

This morning I had the privilege of preaching at a small church just a few miles from my house. The congregation was warm, responsive, and joyful, and we had a great time worshiping together.

The highlight of the service came after the closing hymn. I have to admit, my mind wasn't very focused on singing, since I was thinking ahead to my closing words.

As the music faded though, one little boy toward the back broke into applause. It caught me off guard, and I stumbled on my words. How could I have missed this beautiful moment that the boy experienced and was applauding? I stopped, smiled at him, and said, "yes, praise God!" Others echoed me and joined the clapping.

One gentleman said afterward, "sometimes the children lead the worship." Yes they do. This one also saved me from the rigidity that I abhor and yet which stubbornly sneaks up on me. Thank you God, for impetuous children whose affection for you is so unbounded.

No comments: