Thursday, January 3, 2008

An Extra Place for Dinner

As my husband and daughter were setting the table for dinner tonight, my daughter said, "We need to set a place for Jesus." I had no idea Jesus was planning on coming to dinner, but how could we say, "no?"So, my husband set out an extra plate and setting of silverware, and my daughter filled the plate with bread.

A sense of expectation danced over us at dinner and, although Jesus' bread went untouched, we were ready for him.

This goes beyond my normal hospitality. It's more than just a willingness to make room for unexpected guests after they arrive, it's expecting the guests and preparing their place long before they come; it's anticipating their needs and desires, so that when they walk in the door they know that they are home at last.

Maybe Jesus will be more likely to join us if we're already prepared.

1 comment:

the fly said...

wonderful blog. i need to set a place at the table every day...
robwinger