Thursday, December 27, 2007

Happily Semi-Liturgical

I grew up in churches whose only nods to the Christian calendar were Christmas Day and Easter Day. What a great discovery were all the other feast days and seasons, especially Advent and Easter. Let me just say that it rocks my world to know that it's still Christmas. Everywhere around me people are saying, "Well, Christmas is over now." "Oh no," I reply, "It's Christmas until January 6. We still have a week and a half of celebration before us. How cool is that?"

I do, however, have a few modest suggestions for the liturgical year. First, as happy a color as green is, it's just way overused. How about a little more red? Last year our worshiping body extended Pentecost by a few weeks, mainly because we like the red better. And what about orange? It's way underutilized. And for those of us with Seasonal Affective Disorder, I think more bright yellow during Epiphany would work wonders.

Oh, and I think that instead of just different colored stoles for each season, pastors should wear different colored robes. With matching shoes.

Alright, now it's just getting late.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Dagney, I think you are on to something, and I will help you start the colored robes and shoes thing. I don't currently own any green shoes... we would have to go shopping and perhaps add a footware line-item in the budget. I'm all for it!