Sunday, April 4, 2010

Yes, Aliyah, there is a monster


"Are there really monsters, mommy?"

My daughter watched Monsters Inc. for the umpteenth time this afternoon. I told her that I didn't know, that I had never seen a monster, but that they may exist somewhere.

After she fell asleep tonight, the question returned to my mind. Are there monsters?

Tomorrow begins our fourth quarter at school. Last week over 80 new students enrolled in our adult education program designed to prepare adults for the GED and college. The instructors met with the students one-on-one for advising, and, as always, the students I met inspired me. One wants to open his own soul food restaurant, another wants to be a social worker so that she can help others who are struggling through the same system that she struggled through. One young man, under the question "what are your long-range goals?" wrote, "to be known, to be loved, and to be larger than life." Their eyes were bright and their faces revealed their enthusiasm. Several said, "I'm going to get it right this time."

My short history here predicts that not all of them will last through the quarter. A couple will be incarcerated, at least one will lose her home, a few will lose their motivation, family issues will relentlessly pull away several, and a couple will simply not show up one day and when we try to call them we will only reach disconnected lines.

I hate this truth. I rail against this reality. I want to fight like hell for each and every one of them. This is my monster.

But this monster is sly and elusive. Just when I think I've cornered him, I strike out and hit nothing but emptiness, then hear the low, sinister laugh behind me. Sometimes I think I have struck a near fatal blow only to discover that my sword has accomplished no damage whatsoever.

I cannot hurt the monster because he belongs to the students. I can walk with them into battle, I can suggest fighting techniques, I can equip them with weapons, and I can cheer for them. But they must fight him. They must kill him themselves.

Tomorrow, we take up arms and storm the castle. Beware, monster; your days are numbered.

1 comment:

Jerseystitch said...

I dare you to say all of this to your daughter.
*tilt*