Sunday, April 11, 2010

Two wheels are better than four


Over the last two days, I've seen a different Kansas City than what I've ever seen before.

On most days, I'm a highway driver. I set my course based solely on the fastest route to my destination. I'm in the northland and want to go to the Plaza? No problem. Jump on the interstate and presto, 20 minutes later I'm there. It was as if a stretch of concrete or asphalt and maybe some heavy traffic was all that separated one point of interest from another.

But yesterday, I joined some friends (who all know the city better than I) on a bike tour which started in Westport, meandered down through the east bottoms, then circled back to downtown and then Westport again. Jason Steliga took the picture above during our bike tour. Can you name that bridge?

Moving slowly, open on all sides and above me, pedaling along backroads and trails, I discovered Kansas City. And you know what? It's beautiful, funny, ugly, sad, and amazing. Why have I never noticed before? Why the narrow habit of staring straight ahead and moving from box to box while enclosed in a box? This city is rich with color, variety, oddities, and flavor.

So today, instead of driving from my apartment in Grandview to the Ultimate game across the street from the Nelson-Atkins museum, I hopped on my bike and rode. Since bicycles and highways don't mix, I rode on streets I've never driven before. As I was pedaling, little things popped out at me: a little free-standing New York style bakery on Troost, a hot dog stand on Grandview Rd, a darling old neighborhood on Rockhill Rd. And a guy riding the funniest looking bike I've ever seen. Must have been an art student.

I discovered that, for the most part, the city's landscape changes gradually. I couldn't tell you when I left the suburbs and entered the urb. At which point exactly did the average home value jump from $70,000 to $500,00? When did the narrow, empty roads become wide and crowded?

So, I'm starting a new exploration. Next week, I'm going to bike to that hot dog stand and try it out. I'll let you know if it's any good.

No comments: