Thursday, December 17, 2009

an unexpected moment of beauty

Today, for the last day of classes, we celebrated the progress students have made over the last quarter. We announced those who had passed the GED recently and asked them to share their future plans. We cheered for everyone who had advanced academically over the last quarter, and we praised all the students for their perseverance and hard work. The dean even joined us and commended the students for all they had accomplished.

After the celebration, I returned to one of the classrooms with a student to show him some study resources for over the break. While we were working, another student stepped in. I thought most had already left, so was a little surprised. She said, "No one mentioned the instructors today. Before I left, though, I wanted to tell you thank you. You have all worked hard and helped us very much. I appreciate everything you have done. It means a lot to me. So thank you."

I was speechless for a moment. It was completely unexpected, but also obviously heartfelt. I smiled, maybe even teared up a tiny bit, and said, "You're very welcome. Thank you for telling me that. I'm glad to have helped." She smiled back and me, then walked away.

That was my first Christmas present this season, and it will be hard to top.

3 comments:

Jerseystitch said...

You deserved it. You worked hard, and put your heart into it.

janetvelazquez said...

That is the most awesome gift anyone could get...the gift of a thank you for a job well done. I am very proud of you and the impact you are making on the lives of your students. What comes to my mind is "in as much as you have done for the least of these, you have done for me". Bless you for serving where ever you are placed.

Iggy - www.KCFreeThinkers.org said...

Dagney, you may want to check out http://www.SecularParenting.wordpress.com blog.

It's run by a teacher in North KC with an atheistic perpsective. She has some great posts there.

You guys will be like peas and carrots - "Forrest Gump"