Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cinderella was a pathetic loser


It started as an innocent literary assignment. I read my class the Grimm brothers’ version of “Cinderella,” then, in groups of two, they chose versions from different countries, identified the differences in their version, and researched the country.

It had been a long time since I’d read the Grimm version, and though I wasn’t expecting any kind of feminist ideals, I still found myself rolling my eyes more than a little. I mean, really Cinderella. Anytime you wish for something under the hazel tree the birds bring it to you, and yet you haven’t bothered to wish for the items or resources to allow you to leave your cruel stepmother? Wus. And perhaps rather than crying over her mother’s grave three times a day she should have bucked up even a modicum of courage and done something with her life.

And seriously, her mother’s dying request was that Cinderella (whom the Grimm brothers never bother to give a real name) be pious and good. Come on, mom. I can think of a lot of words I would give my daughter on my deathbed, and “be sure to remain pious and good,” are not among them.

Humility, obedience, piety, small feet- these were the desirable qualities in a woman, passed down from generation to generation, and the fairy tales enumerated the prizes available to women who met these standards: beauty, a rich husband, and the ability to speak to birds.

The sexism of classic fairy tales is not earth-shattering news, but its insidious hold on our social consciousness has struck me this week. Last weekend one of my cousins told her mothers that she wanted to watch a romantic movie with a strong female lead. Not such an easy request to fulfill, as it turned out. Even where piety and obedience have been expunged, helplessness, neediness, and stupidity still reign supreme.

Which reminds me- this Saturday night some local theaters are showing all 3 Twilight movies in a row for one low price!

There was a time when mothers passed down these virtues to their daughters as a matter of survival, but that time has passed. Cinderella, while an interesting study in literature and culture, no longer holds value for women.

Except for the talking with the birds bit. That’s pretty cool.

2 comments:

janetvelazquez said...

hey, give Cinderella a break. she grew up in England (or some such country) where there was really no options for girls except to marry a prince. And come to think of it, is that such a bad thing? After all, she made him a happy guy too! And what about the pumpkin ride? that was pretty cool

Jessica Velazquez said...

Wow, a pathetic loser? Yeah she was def not a go-getter in the feminist realm, but sis give the gal a break. She had game. She used her charm to win over a prince to rule a kingdom. Don't think for a second her "forgetting" that glass slipper was an accident, no way. My optimism tells me that if there was a part II of the story it would be titled "After the cinders, the reign of Queen Rella." Yes, it is a shame that the folks back then couldn't or rather wouldn't write such a success story, but it is now up to us, modern day women, to write these fairy tales.