Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Truth and eggs

To keep my daughter occupied during a meeting yesterday, I let her create a Word document on my laptop. That kept her happy for a full 5 minutes, which is an eternity in 4-year-old time. When she was done, she showed me the ten lines that she had typed and asked me to read back what she had written.

I will freely admit that my daughter is not a prodigy, so this was not Shakespeare. Actually, it was ten lines of gibberish with no spaces or punctuation. I diligently searched for any small words I could find (like Boggle, but without the diagonal) and found two: "eggs" and "truth."

Yes, that's right, even in the midst of random, mindless clatter was a small measure of truth. If I had not searched, I never would have found it. But from now on, I'll look twice even in the most unexpected places.

No comments: