Monday, April 7, 2008

Meeting Agendas

So, yesterday afternoon a large contingent from our congregation met at Roe Park for an intense game of kickball, youth vs. adults. The scorekeeper claimed it was a tie game, but I'm sure I counted at least one more run for the adults... ah, if only I hadn't dropped that fly ball (and Karsen, don't ask which drop I'm talking about).

The best part of the game, and the whole afternoon, was how much we laughed, cheered, and sweat together. We learned things about each other (who knew Shannon was competitive enough to risk his own life?) and we easily forgave each other (ok, back to my dropped fly balls).

I'm struck by how much playing together can create, enhance, and restore relationships. So, I propose that every meeting from now on begin and end in play. It doesn't have to be kickball, though that's hard to beat, but it does need to be fun, lighthearted, and give Shannon an opportunity slide in the dirt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a reason why recreation is spelled re-creation. I think people have realized for a long time that recreation is what restores us and makes us whole. I find that being playful just comes naturally to me around people I feel close to, and when I don't feel comfortable, it's the first thing to go.

Anyway, I propose interpretive sketches based on a theme at the beginning of small group this week. This week's theme: awkward junior high break-ups.