Sunday, February 17, 2008

Let Them See You Sweat

Every couple of months, I curl up with my Women's Health magazine to learn about all the latest advice for a healthy lifestyle. In every issue are at least a couple of perfect workout routines designed to tone and shape. Last fall, I ripped out the few pages with a special winter workout, an intense, but relatively short workout that included both resistance and cardio training, intended to keep the metabolism revved and ready for spring in just two sessions per week. This sounded great, since my winter workout schedule is usually very pathetic; I spend the first couple months of spring just trying to catch up to where I was in the fall.

So over the next month or so, I faithfully visited the gym twice a week and executed the workout precisely. Yes, I was the only person there carrying around magazine pages, but I was feeling stronger and leaner after just a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, the motivation slowly waned, and after a couple of months, I just couldn't force myself to the gym anymore. The mornings were too dark to venture out of bed, and the evenings too cold to go back out again. Besides, after a few weeks, the workout routine was boring and tiresome.

One evening, when I somehow managed to drag my body to the gym but still couldn't muster the will to hop on the treadmill, I walked over to the fitness classroom to check out the evening's schedule. That's where I met Steve's Total Body Conditioning Class. With no real idea what it was, I shuffled into the classroom, mainly because I couldn't think of anything else to do. An hour and a half later, every muscle in my body ached, all my energy was spent, and I was in love.

The simple truth is, I just can't workout alone. Not for any extended period.

I need the discipline of a scheduled meeting time.

I need people who will ask me where I was when I miss a class.

I need Steve's killer body in front of me to remind me of my goal.

When my muscles are whining, I need the woman beside me who hasn't stopped her push-ups, shaming me into continuing mine.

I need someone expecting more of me than I expect of myself.

I need to be in a group that shouts, "Yeah!" at the top of their lungs when Steve asks, "Feeling good?" even if we all feel like collapsing.

I need the high five and the "Great job!" at the end of class.

I'm ready now to admit that the task of maintaining physical health is too difficult to do on my own. It just won't happen. Judging by the size of Steve's class, this is true for many people.

The same goes for spiritual health. Actually, most people (including me) find this one even more difficult. We need a total body conditioning class for our souls.

Some people call it church.

So, I'll see you there. And if it helps, I'll give you a high five and a "Great job!" after worship.

But I'll also expect you to push yourself even harder next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! And so true. It's been hard for me to get back into fitness now that I don't have a class that I'm required to attend.