Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm on the library's most wanted list

This is not normal for me. I'm usually fairly responsible person; I pay my bills on time, I'm prompt, I keep my house fairly clean- well, clean enough. I just have this little problem with library books and that whole bring-them-back concept that libraries are so uptight about. So, for the first time in my life, I had a bill sent to collections and, although I finally did return most of the books (still can't find one) my fines were high enough that I had to set up a 3-month payment plan with the library.

It's embarressing and a little surprising, so I spent some time digging down deep within myself to discover why I struggle so much with responsible library patronage. Here's what I finally came up with:

I don't like returning books.

I mean, I really, really don't like returning books.

I love them. I love to hold them, smell them, listen to that sweet crackling when they are opened, spend hours bonding with them, scribble thoughts in their margins ( another big library no-no, admit turn out), stay awake all night sharing a bottle of wine with them, and drifting off to sleep with them. Returning those who have come to mean so much to me after only a few short weeks seems crude and heartless.

Now, if I were advancing in my spiritual practices, this is where I would talk about the need to release our attachment to the things of this world. I would even rejoice over this discovery of another fetter in need of breaking.
I'm not going to do it. Not just because I'm stubborn (which I am), but also becuase I have discovered freedom in the discovery. Instead of purging myself of this relationship with books which I find so nourishing and pleasurable, I need to adjust my lifestyle so that I no longer damages my credit or taxes the patience of those sweet librarians.
So, no more removing books from the library for me. Research will only be conducted within it's walls; books with whom I would like a deeper relationship I will buy (Half Price Books is my new best friend) and, once the relationship has run its course, will sell back.

If the rules of the game don't work for me, then it's time to change the game. I'm at peace with that, as are all of my new lovely books.

2 comments:

www.KCFreeThinkers.org said...

Add a reminder to your cell/smart phone to return the books. Most libraries now are online and you can renew most of them if there is no hold. I get most of my books (have 5 on evolution on my desk now) from the local Johnson County Library, they also e-mail you reminders about deadlines. This can get costly, they just raised fines from 15 cents to 30 cents per day.

I thought they are supposed to have a maximum fine for books? - like the value of the book or something?

Bronze Laddy said...

re"the need to release our attachment to the things of this world.."
One of the things that made me finally reject catholic churge was my wife's constant reading Tomas A Kempis's "The Imitation of Christ" . It's a wretched little book that talks constantly about hating this world, etc. Not a healthy thing.