Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Thank you nurse

This week is national nurses’ week, an opportunity for all of us to honor and thank those women and men who have dedicated their lives, or a portion of it, to caring and serving in a capacity that requires great strength, compassion, intelligence, patience, and fortitude.

Nurses have played pivotal roles in my own life. One of my favorite aunts is nurse extraordinaire. I call upon her for her expertise on a regular basis. The night I gave birth to Aliyah two nurses were my closest friends for a few hours. Because of their steadfastness I was able to endure the worst of labor while maintaining my sense of humor.

But what I will never, ever forget is the day a nurse saved my life. It was The Worst Day of My Life. I awoke early. No, I hadn’t slept the night before, but it was early in the morning when the dangerous thoughts first crept through my mind, “I want to stop the pain. I would do anything to make this pain go away.” I had just enough sanity left to recognize my danger, to know I needed to call someone immediately, but at first I couldn’t think of whom. Who would listen to my shame, embarrassment, fear, and pain without judgment? Who would know just how to stop me from following through with my dangerous thoughts?

The answer was suddenly clear. There was only one person to call, and this person was a nurse. I called her before the sun had even risen, and when she heard my voice on the phone she asked for no explanation, but came to my house immediately. She was not my best friend, not a family member, but she embodied all of the qualities of the greatest nurse. She had, and still has, a passion to bring health and healing to the human body and soul, and she did so that day by sharing from the very depths of her own soul. She stayed by my side and nursed me back to a place of safety.

This amazing woman isn’t a nurse because it was a lucrative career choice. Instead, her profession springs from a heart, mind, and soul of gold.

To help celebrate this week, do you have a story of a nurse who has touched your life?

3 comments:

Jerseystitch said...

How did the nurse save your life? What was wrong with you?
How did you get a nurse to come to your house?

Dagney J Velazquez said...

She was the wife of a colleague and friend and came to me house because she recognized the danger. She saved my life by preventing my suicide.

Karen said...

I'm glad you're still here :)