Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Is that a bald eagle in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?



Today we talked about figurative language, which my regular blog fans will immediately recognize as one of my favorite lessons. I always learn so much.

This time, along with similes, metaphors, and personification, we talked about symbol, something that represents something larger than itself. Students brainstormed several familiar symbols: bald eagle, heart, arrow, Nike swoosh (they ridiculed my drawing again here), cross, and flags. We briefly discussed what each symbol represented.

Then we returned to some of the symbols and I challenged them. "This symbol means something specific to you, but is it possible that it represents something very different, perhaps even the opposite, to someone else?" We identified various symbols that may represent love to one person but fear and hate to another, national pride for one but oppression to another, freedom for one but slavery for another.

I told my students that symbols, because the ideas and ideologies they represent, can be incredibly powerful. They can be tools of freedom, justice and empowerment, or tools of destruction. We can not use symbols lightly, but thoughtfully, keeping in mind their unique histories and connotations.

And by the way, my drawing of a butterfly DOES NOT look like a shoe. It doesn't look like a butterfly either, but still...

2 comments:

JV said...

Oh the wonders of communication. That's a great topic, so simply complex. Fun one for sure! That's why I loved being a liberal arts major... We took classes and discussed these topics. You are so gifted sis to be on both ends of the spectrum. Science degree and teaching arts. Go girl!

Jerseystitch said...

My verification word was "payalma". I don't even know Alma.
Your butterfly looks like a red ribbon.
Amazing how much anger the Christian Cross stirs up.
And amazing how other symbols become destroyed, like the swazstika.