Saturday, December 13, 2008

God at Oak Park Mall

Yesterday I spent some quality hours at Oak Park Mall (thanks, SPRC!) and a few spiritual experiences caught me by surprise.

The first encounter was at the Seacret kiosk. Elad, a salesman at the kiosk stopped me to demonstrate their nail care kit. While he was beautifying one of my nails (it really did work well, so I bought the whole kit) we chatted. He's lives in Israel, and is here just to help promote the company's products in the United States. He lives just 30 minutes from the Dead Sea, his favorite place back home. He asked me about myself, and when I told him I was a pastor, he was more than a little surprised. He said, "you don't look like a pastor." He expected a pastor to be dressed in a dark suit and tie. Back home, he told me, religious leaders always dress differently from other people, so he really was taken aback by a pastor who looks, "normal." We laughed about this, and he shared with me what he loves and misses about home.

Not long after this fun encouter, I ran across Jesus. He was hanging out at the top of the escaltor, just watching people over the railing. He was in full regalia- white robe, crown of thorns, full beard and long flowing hair. We didn't talk, but I couldn't help but think about Elad, wondering what his reaction would be. What is his overall impression of Christians, or at least Christians in the United States?

My final encounter was at the check out counter of a department store. I bought a couple of items that finished out my gift card, and it rang up $0.98 over what was left on the card. I very rarely carry cash (yes, I know what Dave Ramsey would say), and so asked if I could put the $0.98 on my credit card. The woman checking out next to me laughed and handed the cashier a dollar for me. I thanked her and she just smiled and waved me off, then left. It was just a dollar, but she did it so quickly and without a second thought, that it made me think that generosity must just be a way of life for her.

It's been an interesting season.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Eduardo said...

Dag, would Dave Ramsey also ask you to perhaps negotiate that dollar? Just a thought.

We took FPU and loved it.