Sunday, July 13, 2008

As the Sun Rises

This morning I rolled out of bed a little earlier than normal for a Sunday morning, as Adam, our senior pastor, was introducing all the pastors to the congregation at every service, including the 7:45 a.m. service. This was my first time to attend the early morning service, and I was surprised at the large attendance. The service was in the chapel, the original sanctuary that seats around 300, and it was close to full. It's a beautiful chapel, designed to be especially conducive for weddings, funerals, and other special services.

"Why?" I asked myself, "Why would so many people wake up this early on a Sunday morning for worship?" It was clearer to me after the service. Here the congregation enjoys all the advantages of a large church with all its resources, but also the intimacy of a smaller church in a space that feels and looks especially sacred. Between the great acoustics of the space and the energy of the people, the congregational singing filled the room. I enjoy worship at all of the services here, but there was something very special about this early morning service.

Plus, who doesn't love to greet the sun as it peeks above the horizon in the morning?

If you've never tried it, come on out and give it a go. And if you don't love it, if you're not glad you woke up earlier than normal for the worship experience, give me a call and I'll take you out to coffee to make up for it.

1 comment:

Eduardo said...

I love the people from Resurrection. I had a great time there.

The 7:45 am service? Not my cup of tea.

Dag, you owe me a cup of coffee. I am glad you are having a great time!

E.